Since I've had some free time, I stumbled upon a recipe on Pinterest called the Mississippi Pot Roast. I didn't think anything of if since it didn't have much reviews, but as I kept scrolling through, this recipe kept popping up, so I thought to myself, why not. I went to King Soopers (Kroger) and got myself the ingredients and made it.
OH.MY.GOODNESS. This is probably the BEST pot roast i've ever had. Where have I been all my life without it? It was SO juicy and the taste was out of this world. I kept going back for more. I couldn't wait to make the mashed potatoes and broccoli that I tossed some into a bun of bread and ate it like that. It was SO good. I wouldn't lie to you. It was amazing. Please make it and please tell me how much you loved it. K? OK!
3 lb chuck roast
2 tbsp olive oil
salt & pepper to taste
1 packet ranch dressing mix
1 packet Au Jus mix
½ cup salted butter 1 stick
8 pepperoncini peppers
*I did everything in my instant pot and made it slow cook - you can do yours in a pan and transfer to a crockpot if you don't have one.
1. Turn your instant pot to 'Saute' and wait for it to heat up. Once hot, add oil. (For crock pot - heat up a large non-stick pan on high. Once it is hot, add oil to the hot skillet.)
2. While you are waiting for that to warm up, take a paper towel and make sure you dry both sides of the pot roast. Season it with a little bit of pepper.
3. Once the skillet/instant pot is nice and hot, add the roast. Allow the roast to cook for about 2-3 minutes until it is golden brown. Using tongs, flip the meat over and sear the other side of the roast for another 2-3 minutes.
4. If cooking in instant pot, turn 'Saute' off, by pushing cancel and then push 'Slow Cook' for 8 hours. (For crock pot - transfer meat to slow cooker.) **Once I find the perfect timing for the instant pot, i'll update this post with it! I heard around 70 minutes but I will test it and let you know!**
5. Top with a stick of butter. (Mine was cut into 1/4 so I used two to make it ½ cup)
6. Sprinkle packets of dry ranch dressing and Au Jus over the pot roast. Then place 8 pepperoncini peppers on and around the roast.
7. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
8. After about 8 hours, take two forks and start shredding the meat. Discard any fatty pieces. Depending on your crock pot / instant pot, you may need to cook it more or less. Know your machine!
9. Serve over mashed potatoes with vegetables or make a sandwich. (Will make another post on how to steam broccoli in the instant pot!)