I personally am not a huge Super Bowl fan unless the Broncos made it all the way. If they are not playing, then I am neither fan, but I know how much my friends and family love to watch so I just tune in and watch with them. (Or if it truly doesn't interest me, I go shopping! Best time to go since everyone else is glued to a TV!) I recently made some super bomb nachos and thought I'd share with everyone!
You can buy nacho chips or make your own. Personally, I love the homemade ones from tortillas. (Partly because I had some left over at home and I thought I should just use them).
Tortilla chips from Tortillas:
•1 (12 oz) package of corn/flour tortillas (I only used about 3 at a time when cooking on a single tray ; You can use corn tortillas but all I had was flour)
•1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
•1/2 of a lime or eyeball as much lime juice as you like
•1 teaspoon of ground cumin
•1 teaspoon of chili powder
•1 teaspoon of salt
(I eyeballed all the seasonings - add as much or as little as you like)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cut each flour/corn tortilla into 8 chip sized wedges and arrange the wedges in a single layer on a cookie sheet. I used about 3 full ones because that's what could fit on my cookie sheet.
3. Cover each tortilla wedge with oil and lime juice, making sure each is covered well.
4. Combine the cumin, chili powder and salt and sprinkle on the chips.
5. Bake for about 7 minutes. Rotate the pan and bake for another 8 minutes or until the chips are crisp, but not too brown. *Be careful not to let your chips burn.
For the nachos:
•Tortilla chips (the ones above or store bought)
•1 and 1/2 cups of shredded cheese AND/OR Velveeta cheese + a can of Rotel
•Beef or chicken
As much as you'd like:
•1-2 diced tomatoes
1. Take your chips and layer them at the bottom of a baking dish. You can use as little or as much as you'd like.
2. Sprinkle some shredded cheese on top. I like to use a lot since I'm an avid cheese lover. Pop it into the oven at 350 for about 5 to 10 minutes. Keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn.
*For alternative gooey cheese: Combine some velveeta and rotel into a bowl and pop it into the microwave until it's melted completely through. Mix thoroughly. Poor on top of your nachos
3. Take the pan out of the oven. If you like meat, you can add some chicken or beef, whatever you have at hand.
*To make the beef - get 1lb of beef, cook it in a pan. Add any spices you'd like. I usually add a teaspoon of each: oregano, basil, paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder. When it's all done cooking, add taco seasoning and water (follow directions on the packet) and mix it all together. Cook it about 20 minutes total.
4. To the pan with the tortilla chips, add in diced tomatoes, guacamole, sour cream, baked beans, green onions, cilantro, corn, and olives. Take away or add anything else you'd like. You can also always buy these by the can if you don't have time to get fresh ones.